Tuesday 23 October 2012

The US/GB

I have noticed that a lot of my views are coming from America, in particular The United States, but also some from  Canada. And second most views are coming from the United Kingdom. So I thought I would make a little something for you guys as a thank you for following my blog. First of all, did you know that Norway has adopted many English words into the Norwegian language. Now, many Norwegians say they are against this, but to be honest, it helps the understanding between two languages. I guess it is especially younger people who adopt these words. So here are some words we use in Norwegian as well(sometimes written the same ways, and other times spelt in a "Norwegian" way):
- Snowboard/skateboard
- Snowblades
- Scooter (often combined with "vann" or "snø, meaning water and snow)
- Surfing
- TV(only pronounced with the Norwegian letters)
- Radio
- Internett
- Gitar/bassgitar
(If you are Norwegian and reading this, please send me more words that we have adopted from either English or other languages)


Words that English have adopted from Norwegian...the only words I can think of are:
- Fjord (because they basically only exist in Norway)
- Troll (because let's face it, they only exist in Norway)
- Viking (well it is technically an old norse word, but the vikings came from Norway/Sweden, so therefore I will say it is a Nordic word)



Please let me know if there's any particular words/sentences about The US or GB you would like to learn.
- Great Britain = Storbirtannia
- The United States of America = Amerikas Forente Stater (though we would normally just say U.S.A)


Soundclip will come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment